Saturday, March 17, 2012

Story Review - Truth by HourglassGluedToTheTable


Story Review: 
Truth - by HourglassGluedToTheTable
Review by: D.C. Miles
"Okay, so we have the whole summer before you go off to your big special school, right? So, we're going to play a game." Sam Puckett
And with this one simple sentence the author takes us on a roller coaster ride that has you on the edge of your seat wondering alternately if Sam and Freddie will ever be ready to trust each other…and sometimes if they even should.
The story opens with graduation over and a new world full of possibilities opening up for Freddie, Carly and to some extent Sam. While Carly leaves for college Freddie stays behind and we’re treated to Sam and Freddie interacting without Carly – something I always enjoy. Freddie is headed to school across the country and without it being stated, the author gives us a glimpse into the depth of sadness Sam feels at the prospect – and the lengths she’ll go to not to admit it. In the weeks before he leaves Sam decides it’s time for them to play a game of Truth or Dare, minus the dare.
Over the weeks before he leaves and in the months that follow they commit to a game that takes them to a place of vulnerability neither of them have experienced – at least not with each other. There are big secrets revealed, and small secrets revealed and while the author does an amazing job of drawing out the tension behind the revelations and keeping us on our toes the true beauty in the game lies in Sam and Freddie’s determination to continue pushing the lines of comfort. The questions they ask are increasingly personal and as the answers are revealed it becomes more and more difficult for them to deny what they feel for each other.
The authors shines in the moments of banter between Sam and Freddie. He’s mastered their voices and while Sam shows a vulnerability virtually non-existent on the show, at no point does she feel out of character. The Sam and Freddie of this story are the characters we love, but with depth and roundness to their personalities. They do things we don’t expect but the author builds a foundation that makes the actions not only believable but understandable.
Of course, no Seddie story would be complete without some level of angst and in ‘Truth’ the author delivers! There is insecurity, jealously and white knuckle fear. And we feel it right along with them as they navigate the highs and lows of an undefined relationship.
As an avid Seddie fan fiction reader I pride myself on having read the best of the best. Finding ‘Truth’ was a surprise – albeit a very pleasant one. This story drew me in, kept me interested and delivered an ending that while a bit predictable was no less fulfilling.
Seddie fans would do well to check it out.

But don’t just take my word for it! Here’s what one YWW?! reader had to say about ‘Truth’:

This is one of those stories I read where I got mad if someone interrupted me. I just wanted to keep reading. It seemed to all happen so fast though, I was sad when I saw that I was on the last chapter. To be honest, if I had been scrolling through the lists of fan fiction stories, I probably would not have picked this one. this is one of the reasons your parents told you not to judge a book by its cover! I honestly would say this story would go in my top ten favorites. All the questions Sam and Freddie would ask each other got me thinking "if someone asked me those questions, how would I respond?" It made me think about myself more than any other story in fan fiction has. It sounds cheesy, but it really did. It also made me look at both Sam and Freddie in a way I had never really thought of in fan fiction before. I usually read stories where they are dating, or broke up and get back together, but never like this. To have all the other characters have such minor roles to focus on the "relationship" of the two was such a great idea. Great job! --- @Principessa101

Truth is this week's featured story. Please visit the Featured Story page for story site links.

0 comments:

Followers

Original Fiction/Non-Fiction by Fan Fic Writers

How to Write Fan Fiction
Powered by Blogger.